4 Pet Businesses You Should Consider
Do you adore pets? Do you want to start your own small business? Starting a pet business can be quite successful, especially with the pet industry’s rapid growth. People are becoming increasingly eager to spend their money where their hearts are. Perhaps you’re one of them?
Pets Growing Market
- At least one pet is owned by 7% of American households.
- In 2017-2018, the United States had around 89.7 million dogs, 94.2 million cats, and 139.3 million freshwater fish (the three largest categories of pets).
- In 2018, Americans spent $72.56 billion on their dogs, up from $69.51 billion the previous year. Since 1994, this number has been gradually increasing.
- The fastest-growing industry is pet services, which include grooming, boarding, pet hotels, pet sitting, daycare, and other services. Americans spent $6.11 billion on pet services in 2018, and this figure is predicted to rise to over $6.31 billion in 2019…
- According to Statistics Canada, families in Canada spent $8.85 billion on pets in 2018.
According to another research, roughly 41% of homes have at least one dog, while 38% of households have at least one cat. Pet ownership in China is increasing at a compound annual growth rate of more than 7% globally.
So, how can you get into the pet industry? This post contains 18 pet-related business ideas that you might find appealing.
The ideas below range from pet-related items to pet services that entail interacting with animals, however, there are no pet business ideas on the list that involve retail animal breeding and selling. Both the American and Canadian Societies for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals are opposed to this practice.
Pet sitting is at the top of the list since it is almost universally required and is a very flexible business. For example, if you reside in a good location outside of town, you can run a pet sitting business like a kennel, with customers bringing and dropping off their pets.
You can also visit people’s houses and take care of their pets. You can even combine a pet-sitting and house-sitting business and take care of everything while your clients are gone. Because retirees are more likely to travel, pet and house sitting has become a popular service for the elderly.
This is where you can drop your pets and when you are going out. The only problem you may face with this business is zoning. Zoning is when your neighbourhood allows you to have such businesses. You should try to see near the municipality to confirm the zoning bylaws.
If you feel that you can offer dog owners what they are looking for in a dog trainer – why not offer your services? However, be sure that you have the skill required, you do not want people to waste their money on you and you have nothing to give them. The place should not be a problem there are a lot of places that are available to be rented for dog training.
This is one of the most popular businesses when it comes to dogs. Many people love dogs but they do not find the time or they do not have many resources on how to groom a dog- so they pay someone else to do it. This business is very flexible- as it is mobile (you go to the people’s place) or you can open a shop.
Pet businesses are not for everyone- you should have enough knowledge and love for the animals to be able to work with them. Pet business is like any other business- you should have the financial knowledge and every other thing that are important to run a business. Let us know in the comments, how do you feel about running a pet business…