All owners must take good care of their pets. If they don’t have enough time, they can use the services of a pet groomer to take care of their pet’s hygiene. The reliability of their service depends on the quality of the training they have received. Details on the training of animal groomers are in this article.
The Particularities of the Training of Animal Groomer
The training of animal groomers combines an interest in animals and aesthetics. It prepares those interested in the profession of animal groomer. The work consists in carrying out care adapted to each type and each race of animal, such as hygiene and maintenance of the hairs, the shearing or cut of the hairs, the depilation of the ears, the cut of claws, the hairdressing, the brushing (to disentangle and remove dead hairs). It also includes advising the owner and selling pet food, pet care products, and pet clothing.
Duration and Location of the Training
The training for animal groomers lasts 2 years. At the end of this training, the Technical Certificate of the Canine and Feline Grooming Trades or CTM is delivered. It is a diploma of CAP level.
In France, there are 8 approved centers for the preparation of this diploma. They are grouped in the National Union of Training Centers in Grooming (UNCFT). These centers are: the Centre de Formation d’Apprentis de l’Artisanat de Mulhouse, the Centre Régional de Formation d’Apprentis des Combrailles, La Cité de la Formation Professionnelle de Marmande, the Maison Familiale Rurale du Perche, CFA/ESM d’Arras, CFBT Antenne de la Ciotat, ACPM Est Provence, IFFA-CFA l’École des métiers.
Conditions of Access to the Training
You must be at least 16 years old and have completed the 9th grade to access the training. The apprentice must find an employer and sign a professionalization contract with him.
In addition, the training requires the following qualities and profile:
- Sturdiness which aims to be able to move and hold a large or small animal well.
- A good nervous and emotional balance that allows the groomer to control his emotions and not to get carried away easily when faced with the animals’ aggressiveness.
- The firmness which aims at establishing control over the animal, whatever the situation.
- Gentleness which shows interest and willingness to care for the animal.
- Be anti-allergic to hair.
The 4 Modalities of Training
- Theoretical courses which consist in giving the learners the necessary knowledge to start in the profession.
- The practical courses that facilitate the initiation to the profession’s exercise take place in a grooming salon indicated in the professionalization contract.
- Online courses which are reserved for learners who have chosen distance learning.
- Internships that allow students to become familiar with the profession and combine theory and practice. They are optional but strongly recommended.
The Training Program
- Grooming techniques: technical details, equipment used by the professional and aesthetic standards for each breed.
- Zoology and ethnology: the different species and breeds of dogs and cats.
- Morphology and animal anatomy as well as medical and veterinary vocabulary.
- Physiology: the functions and properties of each animal organ.
- Common diseases: endocrine diseases, skin diseases, tumors, etc.
- Each animal’s food: differentiate between a healthy diet and an unbalanced diet.
- The process of creating and managing a grooming salon: to guide apprentices in their efforts to open or take over a salon.
Opportunities and Career Development After Training
After the training, the apprentice becomes a professional animal groomer. At first, he will be employed, but with experience, he will be able to specialize in home grooming. They can also become self-employed and open their own salon.