June 22, 2024

Your best friend’s diet is very important. As you already know, you shouldn’t give him just anything to eat, but what are the foods to avoid at all costs? Let’s start with garlic and onions. Both of these foods contain thiosulfate, which damages dogs’ red blood cells and can lead to anemia.

Your dog isn’t like you, and they can’t eat everything that you eat, and some things are toxic to them. So even if you want to give your dog a leftover dish cooked with these foods, it’s best to avoid it. Without further ado, let’s dive further into this blog and learn some of the things you should avoid feeding your dogs.

1. Chocolate


We can say to ourselves that a small square in passing does not hurt. And then chocolate is so good! Wrong. Chocolate contains theobromine, a molecule used in medicine as a heart stimulant. If it is rather harmless for humans, animals can’t say the same since it is toxic for them. Whether chocolate is ingested in large quantities or small pieces at regular intervals, it can cause serious and even fatal health problems. These can start with diarrhea and vomiting and progress to heart problems.

Famous for being bad for animals, cocoa contains theobromine, which passes quickly into your pet’s bloodstream and is very toxic for him. 150 grams of dark chocolate can be enough to kill a dog of 10 kilos. After swallowing chocolate, the dog can show symptoms 4 to 5 hours after eating: vomiting, convulsions, diarrhea, and in the most dramatic cases, heart problems that can lead to death.

2. Onions

Containing allyl and propyl disulfide, onions are toxic to dogs. They damage the red blood cells in the blood because the red blood cells are destroyed prematurely in the blood while their production rate remains normal. Poisoning can occur either by ingesting large amounts or by repeated ingestion of smaller amounts. The dog may experience shortness of breath as the number of red blood cells (which carry oxygen) is reduced and may ultimately cause death.

3. Alcohol and caffeine


This one is not a surprise; we know that alcohol is not good for anyone. A small dose of alcohol can disorient a dog, make him nervous, and some can become aggressive. A large dose can inhibit the dog’s central nervous system, breathing, and heart rate, leading to death. Like chocolate, caffeine stimulates the central nervous system and heart systems. It speeds up the heartbeat and can cause vomiting, agitation, heart palpitations, and even death within hours.

4. Lychee

This exotic fruit is very dangerous for dogs because of the hypoglycin A it contains. The main signs of intoxication are digestive problems quickly followed by hypoglycemia which can be fatal for the animal. It can also cause hypotonia (pathological decrease in muscle tone), hypothermia (drop in body temperature below normal), and then convulsions.

5. Garlic and onions


If these two ingredients are almost indispensable in the seasoning of our daily dishes, they should be banned from our pets’ food. Once again, it is for a molecular reason. Garlic and onions contain thiosulfate, an element that can lead to the destruction of red blood cells. Onions have a greater lethal potential, especially if ingested repeatedly. Choose unseasoned food for your dogs, even if it seems a little bland. Even too much salt can cause poisoning.

6. Dairy products

If you have an adult dog, never feed him a dairy product. Neither is acceptable, whether it’s a piece of cheese on a slice of bread or a bowl of cow’s milk. The same goes for yogurt or ice cream, for example. Milk, in particular, may seem safe, but in reality, adult dogs do not digest it, unlike growing puppies. By feeding or drinking products that contain lactose, you risk causing intestinal problems. The result: diarrhea and vomiting. If you really want to give them milk, choose lactose-free alternatives to avoid illness.

7. Cooked bones


This food is probably the most surprising on the list. As a reflex, we may tend to give our dog leftover bones after the meal or reserve a nice bone for him while we cook. If the bone is raw, why not. As long as it is not too fragile.

Some bones, such as rabbit or poultry bones, are more likely to break easily. The sharp ends can injure your dog’s mouth and even puncture its stomach. This is also likely to happen with cooked bones that have been weakened by heat. Therefore, avoid giving them to your dog as much as possible to avoid irreversible accidents.

Sound off in the comments section below and tell us what you want to read next and if you want to read more about things to avoid feeding to your pets.

1 thought on “Top 7 Things To Avoid Feeding Your Pets

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *