What Are the Best Pets Well-Suited for Families With Kids?
Are you constantly being woken up in the middle of the night by your kids? If it’s a matter of getting a pet, I’ve got you covered.
First and foremost, no matter how creepy it may sound to adopt a pet, don’t freak out or vent your frustration on your children. Any child who watches Tom and Jerry, Scooby-Doo, or Garfield will beg for a pet.
Even though it can be a rewarding experience, you must ensure that your child has the appropriate pet. As a result, here’s a list of some of the best pets for families with children.
Option 1: Dogs
Let’s face it: most of us are just crazy about dogs. That is for a good reason: they are the best!
A dog is, indeed, the most traditional children’s pet. And, let’s be honest, who wouldn’t fall head over heels for those adorable dogs?
Dogs aren’t dubbed « man’s best friend for nothing. » They truly have a superpower that makes us adore them. And, while I would say the secret is in their darn cute eyes, dogs make excellent companions because they are gentle, loving, and obedient (sometimes even more loyal than that romantic partner).
However, everyone is aware that dogs are among the most high-maintenance pets, necessitating a significant time, effort, care, and training commitment. There are even some dogs that are not suitable for children because they may bite or endanger the children.
Questions to consider when selecting a family dog:
- Will the dog be safe for all family members?
- What is the dog’s energy level?
- What kind of ongoing care will the dog need?
- Which age group are you looking for?
- Will this dog get along with the other animals in the house?
Let me now give you some examples of the best family dogs:
- Golden Retriever: Are you a fan of the Barbie Movies? If so, I’m sure you remember « Prince, » the pink-collared golden retriever from Barbie Princess Charm School. A Golden Retriever is not only a loving and loyal dog, but it is also very intelligent and self-assured. Your children will most likely fall in love with it immediately due to its fun-loving nature and love of games.
- Labrador Retriever: Known as the most popular dog breed, these lovable companions will quickly become your children’s best friends. They have a pleasant demeanor, are extremely intelligent, and have a lot of energy. Did I mention how much they enjoy swimming?
- Isn’t the beagle adorable? Check. Kid-friendly? Check. Intelligent and lovable companions? Check and double-check.
- Newfoundland: Also known as « Nature’s Babysitter » or « Nanny Dog, » this dog breed is known as the « Mother Teresa of dogs. » They can be very sweet with children due to their long coats and sweet temperaments. And, despite their tendency to drool excessively, they are known to be excellent swimmers who can save lives in emergency situations.
- Bulldog: Forget what society thinks and trust me on this one. These dogs will get along great with your children. They are devoted, protective, and require little upkeep.
Option 2: Cats
Do you want a cat like Garfield, who is overweight and lazy and has an intense passion for food (especially lasagna and pizza), or Tom, who is always after a mouse, even if it means causing more damage to him (and don’t forget his trademark scream)? Of course, we can’t forget the legendary Sylvester James Pussycat, Sr. And, in case you’re wondering, who am I referring to? It’s just that Tuxedo cat from the Looney Tunes cartoon who keeps chasing that yellow canary.
If there are dog people, there must be cat people as well. Many people are drawn to the feline variety and can’t get enough of the antics of a fluffy feline.
Cats are not as playful as dogs, but they require little care because they can care for themselves. They, for example, essentially clean up after themselves.
However, unlike dogs, cats are not as loyal and may run away from time to time (and please don’t ask me if they always return because I don’t know the answer). Furthermore, they can become moody and defensive from time to time (especially if they are disturbed).