Adopting dogs and cats is a common practice. As we know, these little companions are curious and greedy. For animal lovers, they invest a lot of money in their food. However, some foods are extremely deadly for them. So, without further ado, let’s dive into this blog and learn about some of the most toxic food for your pets.
1. Chocolate, coffee, and tea
Due to their “alkaloid” composition, these three elements are dangerous for dogs and cats. The voluntary or accidental consumption of these can be fatal. By this fact, they will present:
- Vomiting (an alarming symptom, as they normally only vomit when they are seriously ill)
- Excessive thirst
- Heart problems and coma in severe cases
- Death in very severe cases
If the poisoning is recent, it is urgent to take the poisoned animal to the veterinarian for treatment. The lethal dose is estimated at 10 kilograms of live weight at about:
- 60 to 80 grams of chocolate
- 8 teaspoons for coffee
2. The avocado
Whether it is the leaves, the seeds, or the flesh of the avocado, they are all toxic for dogs and cats. Generally, intoxication manifests itself in digestive disorders such as vomiting, diarrhea, cardiovascular disorders, and respiratory disorders. You may notice that your pets are suffering from their behavior. The only way to help them is always to consult a veterinarian.
3. Onions, garlic, shallots, and leeks
Whether these foods are cooked or raw, they are imperatively forbidden for dogs and cats. In dogs, the lethal dose is estimated at one whole onion per 10 kilograms of body weight. On the other hand, the dose is unknown in cats, but knowing that they are smaller than dogs, the dose is very low. In this regard, we must be very careful. The symptoms are digestive and respiratory. However, in the worst case, ingesting these foods leads to anemia and immediately causes the animal’s death.
4. The potato
Most of the time, when we prepare the household food, we mix assortments of vegetables. In this case, the potato is cooked and does not present any danger. However, digestive and nervous symptoms occur when they ingest the potato in raw, green, or sprouted form.
Like potatoes, salt is impregnated in preparing our animals’ food, salted cookies, or products containing salt. However, if the amount exceeds, it is harmful to the point of leaving irreversible after-effects, even fatal for them. The main symptoms are brain edema and nervous system disorders. Among them are convulsions, change of gait, and non-practice of the needs in the litter. Recourse to veterinarians is the safest if the case is not yet serious.
Whether fresh or dried, grapes are totally fatal for our little companions. In fact, the lethal dose is infinitesimally small, 10 grams per kilogram of body weight (i.e., one (01) or two (02) pieces of grapes). Symptoms appear a few hours after ingestion and are characterized by digestive disorders. Then, a renal insufficiency appears, weakening the animal to give way to its death.
When we throw a party at home or are clumsy, it is quite possible that alcoholic beverages spill on the floor. And, of course, our curious pets walk around the house and may lick the floor without knowing the danger of this. In this case, the animal will immediately show alarming symptoms within an hour after ingestion. Generally, the nervous system disorders are the most obvious and are immediately visible:
- The disturbance of the balance
- Respiratory difficulties can also appear.
And in the most serious cases, the animal falls into a coma and dies due to circulatory failure.
Sound off in the comments section below and tell us what you want to read next and if you want to read more about toxic food for your pets.